Steroid use among sportsmen, particularly bodybuilders, has been well documented since the 1950s. There have been several disputes about the beneficial and negative impacts steroids have on the body, but what exactly are steroids? What role do they play in the human body? What distinguishes them from other drugs? Is there a proper way to use them, or are these drugs detrimental in any case? Continue reading to find out!
Defining what steroids actually are
Steroids are certain types of hormones that can be produced naturally by the human body or chemically synthesized and administered into the system. Steroids are so-called because they have a chemical structure that is derived directly from cholesterol, which is found in both plants and animals.
Steroids, also known as “gear” in the bodybuilding world, were first introduced in the early 1950s when two scientists, John Ziegler and C.J. Koch, experimented with testosterone to determine its effects on athletic performance. They ended up introducing an altered form of the compound because it did not have any negative reactions in the human body during tests on patients suffering from osteoporosis.
In the late 1960s, a doctor in the United States named Francis Ziegler experimented with a steroid called testosterone propionate extracted from sheep testicles and successfully developed a new medication that was later marketed under the brand name “Depo-Testosterone.” This was the first time that medication was directly derived from an anabolic steroid.
Steroids are commonly given orally, either as pills or as a liquid mixture. Most people choose to take them in pill form because they are easier to ingest and transport during workouts. Anabolic steroids intended for injection require medical care, just like any other medication injected into the body, however they can be administered at home without the direct supervision of a medical practitioner.
Positive effects of steroid usage
The way steroids work, as well as their effects, can vary based on a variety of circumstances, including the individual using it, the dosage, frequency of usage, and, of course, the steroid being used. However, because steroids impact everyone in roughly the same way, the positive effects tend to be relatively comparable in certain users.
Some of these beneficial impacts include:
- Increased lean body mass: One of the primary goals of anabolic steroids is to assist athletes and bodybuilders in gaining muscular mass. This is due to the fact that one of steroids’ primary tasks is to connect with androgen receptors situated in cells where proteins are generated. This enables for more protein synthesis processes to occur, resulting in faster recovery of damaged muscles during exercises. As a result, there is a greater possibility for larger and bulkier muscles.
- Increased strength: Athletes and bodybuilders have a bigger rise in overall strength following the rapid healing of damaged muscles since their bodies are once again able to withstand tough workouts, resulting in even more muscle mass gain.
- Reduced fat storage: Another amazing advantage that steroid users have is that they may sleep longer and harder. This is due to testosterone’s significant contribution to increased libido levels, which ultimately leads to an increase in intimate appetite in both men and women. Of course, this also means that the person taking steroids will be able to keep his or her solid body even if he or she does not engage in strenuous workouts on a regular basis.
- Increased bone strength: Osteoporosis is a condition in which bones become brittle and weak. This mainly affects those over the age of 50, as well as those who have been taking specific medications for a long time. Steroids have been found to lower the chance of developing osteoporosis because they gradually enhance bone density due to the aforementioned functions of steroids.
- Another significant advantage of using steroids is that it helps shorten healing time after surgery, accident, or severe stress. This is due to the fact that anabolic hormones encourage the formation of cells where proteins are generated, which speeds up cellular regeneration and tissue repair.
- Higher energy levels: Steroids can also provide an individual with extra energy for daily tasks. This is due to the fact that anabolic hormones directly affect the metabolism by producing more energy, which can be used in performing demanding tasks such as lengthy hours of labor, rushing from one location to another, and other forms of physical activity.
- Better sleep: Sometimes people are unable to sleep because they are overly anxious or even overly thrilled about something. However, because steroids can assist a person relax and decrease stress, as well as provide more energy that can be used for other activities, they sleep better at night.
- Improved cardiovascular system: According to research studies, anabolic steroids strengthen people’s cardiovascular systems, which is why those who use them are less prone to significant heart problems. Because their cardiovascular systems are more efficient at pumping blood throughout the body, including all of its cells, they can live longer lifetimes.
- Reduced liver toxicity: Liver toxicity is mainly caused by taking too many oral anabolic steroids. This issue, however, can be avoided by utilizing injectable or transdermal testosterone instead. Furthermore, the use of liver detox supplements such as Milk Thistle can help maintain one’s liver healthy and operating effectively, resulting in better health with fewer occurrences of sickness.
- Higher testosterone levels: Finally, one of the most important advantages of using steroids is the potential to enhance testosterone levels in the body. This means that muscles will become larger and firmer, with less fatigue and faster recovery after workouts, resulting in a better sex life.
There are numerous more advantages to using anabolic steroids, which is why an increasing number of sportsmen and bodybuilders prefer this type of performance-enhancing substance. However, keep in mind that there may be adverse effects to using anabolic steroids, so visit a medical practitioner if you have any questions or concerns about them.
Negative effects of steroid abuse
People who use anabolic steroids can have a variety of physiological benefits. However, it is crucial to understand that misusing steroids can also have severe consequences. Here are some of the harmful impacts of steroid misuse that have been documented over time:
- Disrupted sleep patterns: Some anabolic steroid users develop insomnia, which means they have difficulty sleeping at night despite being physically and emotionally exhausted. This is due to the fact that steroids can raise cortisol levels, which is a stress and anxiety hormone. This can result in restlessness and, as a result, sleeplessness.
- Increased aggression: Steroids can produce excessive hostility in certain people, which can be problematic if it occurs at work or in public. Anabolic steroid use has been associated to aggressive behavior and psychotic episodes in some persons, according to research studies.
- Cancer risk: Although there are no scientific studies to back up the allegation, some bodybuilders and athletes believe steroids might cause cancer. This is not without merit, however, because medical professionals have demonstrated that anabolic steroid addiction increases estrogen levels in men while decreases testosterone levels. This hormonal imbalance can cause gynecomastia, or male breast growth, which can escalate to cancer if left unchecked.
- Liver damage is another undesirable side effect of steroid use because it interferes with the metabolism of estrogen, which is a toxic chemical. That is why, if one uses anabolic steroids for an extended period of time, it is critical to take detox supplements such as Milk Thistle.
Keep track of your dosage and take liver detox products like Milk Thistle to reduce the negative consequences of steroid addiction. Being responsible for anabolic steroid use can help you enjoy the benefits while reducing your chances of experiencing unwanted effects.
Examples of steroids
Here are some steroids, along with an explanation of what they are and what they are used for:
- Dianabol is an oral steroid that also goes by the brand name Anabol. Methandrostenolone (10mg) is present in this steroid. It can be used for muscle building, but due to its hepatotoxic effects when injected into the body, it should only be taken orally.
- Trenbolone is an injectable steroid with a double bond at the third and fourth carbon positions. This means that, unlike other steroids such as testosterone, it is not aromatizable. However, due of how trenbolone responds to hepatic metabolism, it can induce liver damage.
- Testosterone cypionate is an injectable steroid with an eight-day active life. It is frequently used to treat delayed puberty in young boys and to aid in weight gain following a lengthy hospital stay or physical trauma.
- Anadrol was created in the 1960s and is also known by the brand name Oxymetholone. It is administered orally and is primarily used to increase the red blood cell count in anemic patients.
- Deca-Durabolin: Organon International produced this steroid, which has been on the market since 1962. It can be injected into a muscle, but if taken orally, it is only active for a limited period of time. Its primary application is to alleviate the symptoms of bone pain and osteoporosis.
Summary and conclusion
In conclusion, anabolic steroids can be effective for muscle building and producing leaner and harder muscles, but they should only be used in conjunction with other exercises and protein supplements. It is best to take anabolic steroids after a period of rest before returning to exercise or continuing your training plan with the support of protein supplements. If you realize that you have been gaining a lot of weight and are feeling uneasy, you should always contact a doctor straight once.