Are you a fan of bodybuilding? Do you love the Incredible Hulk TV show and movies? If so, you’re going to want to learn more about Lou Ferrigno. Lou is a world-renowned bodybuilder and actor who has starred in some of the most popular Hulk projects over the years. In this biography, we’ll take a look at Lou’s life and career, from his early days as an athlete to his current work as a fitness coach and actor. So, if you’re interested in one of the biggest names in bodybuilding, keep reading!
Date of Birth: November 21, 1951 (age 66)
Place of Birth: Brooklyn, New York, U.S.
Zodiac Sign: ScorpioHeight & Weight: 6 feet 5 inches / 260 lbs.
Early Life and Career Beginnings
Lou Ferrigno was born on November 21, 1951. His mother was of Italian descent and his father was an immigrant from Sicily. Lou grew up in Brooklyn, New York, where he showed a knack for athletics at an early age. He began weightlifting when he was just 11 years old.
At age 13, Lou’s athletic abilities were so impressive that he became the youngest person ever to bench press 500 pounds. At age 17, he set a world record in power lifting while competing in the Teenage Mr. America competition. He went on to become the youngest person ever to win that contest at 19 years old.
While studying psychology and education at Brooklyn College, Lou continued weight training and taking part in various bodybuilding competitions. He began to break records in strength and speed, like the bench press (580 pounds), squat (830 pounds) and deadlift (620 lbs). In 1971, he became a champion bodybuilder after winning the IFBB Mr. Universe competition.
In 1973, Lou won his 5th consecutive title as Mr. America by winning the IFBB Mr. America competition. Just a year later, he won the title of Mr. Universe again in the same organization, which was a record-breaking sixth win.
Also in 1974, Lou Ferrigno competed on the TV show “The World’s Strongest Man,” finishing third overall. His last bodybuilding event was in 1983, where he took first place at the North American Bodybuilding Championships.
Following his success as a bodybuilder, Ferrigno began to pursue an acting career. He made his feature film debut in 1977’s “Stay Hungry,” which starred Arnold Schwarzenegger. He was originally cast as a competitor that wanted to be like Schwarzenegger’s character, but after Schwarzenegger left the film, Ferrigno was given the lead role instead.
After this initial success, Ferrigno landed several small roles in TV shows and movies. He had a recurring role as the father on the soap opera “The Young and The Restless” from 1978-1982. Around that time, he also appeared in various films like “The Kid with the 200 I.Q.” and “Bustin’ Loose,” which was also Schwarzenegger’s first film after moving to the United States.
In 1978, Lou got his most famous role as The Hulk on TV show “The Incredible Hulk” (later called just “Hulk”). He played Dr. David Banner’s alter-ego, the Hulk, a green-skinned monster that had super strength. He starred in 179 episodes of “The Incredible Hulk” from 1978 to 1982, and again from 1988 to 1990.
In addition to playing The Hulk on TV, Lou also co-starred with Schwarzenegger in the film “Pumping Iron,” which was about two bodybuilders trying to make it in the sport. In 1983, he starred as the villain “Gangreen” in the movie “The Outsiders.”
In 1985, Ferrigno took part in a European bodybuilding tour and began traveling extensively due to his work as a fitness expert for a health club chain. During this time, he started writing books about fitness and published several himself.
From 1996 to 2007, Lou hosted the show “The King of Fitness.” It was shown on various TV channels around the world. He is currently hosting a radio show called Lou Ferrigno’s Ultimate Workout, which can be listened to online or through podcast. Ferrigno also acts as a spokesman for the vegan bodybuilding company, Plant-Built.
What He’s Up to Now
During his time as an actor and bodybuilder, Lou Ferrigno has won many awards. These include:
- 1977 – IFBB Mr. Universe title
- 1978 – ROTY Award for “Stay Hungry”
- 1979 – Gold Medal at World Weightlifting Championships for “Best Lifter of the Year”
- 1981 – Golden Plate Award for completing Arnold Schwarzenegger ‘s bodybuilding routine
- 1982 – IFBB Mr. Olympia title
- 1983 – Lifetime Achievement Award at Palm Springs Film Festival
- 2008 – Golden Muscle Award
- 2012 – Bronze Wrangler for “Days of Our Lives”
After leaving his acting career behind, Ferrigno focused on his work as a fitness consultant. He has worked with several celebrities, like Jay Leno and Alanis Morissette. Ferrigno still makes guest appearances in TV shows, movies and video games to this day.
Ferrigno’s personal life hasn’t been without controversy. In 1985, he married the woman who was once his bodybuilding coach and they had two children together. However, in 1998, he had a child with his long-time personal assistant on the side. Ferrigno and his wife divorced not long after the birth of their second child, which allowed him to marry Sumner following an amicable divorce agreement with his ex-wife Barbara Baker.
The Ferrigno family’s struggle with their weight is well documented. Lou and his son, who was also a bodybuilder, suffered from obesity until they became vegetarians and lost a great deal of weight. Ferrigno has appeared on several TV shows to discuss his struggles with food and the importance of healthy eating as a way to remain fit and live a longer life.
As an actor, Ferrigno is best known for his role as The Hulk in the TV series of the same name (later changed to just “Hulk”). He has appeared in other TV shows and movies, including playing himself on “The King of Queens” and having a recurring role on “The Young & The Restless” in the early 80s.
He has several upcoming projects, including guest appearances in “Two and a Half Men,” “Conan,” and a film called “The Apprentice” where he plays the character of Gormagga Kraal. Ferrigno is also hosting his own radio show called Lou Ferrigno ‘s Ultimate Workout, where he talks about health and fitness.
Since becoming a personal trainer, Lou Ferrigno has helped many people lose weight and get fit by encouraging them to eat better and make healthier choices. He is also an advocate for animal rights and promotes the vegan lifestyle as a healthy way of living.
Ferrigno lives in Los Angeles, California with his wife, children and several dogs. He is an outspoken supporter of animal rights and has even appeared in a video for the vegetarian society, explaining why he became vegetarian.
As an actor, Lou Ferrigno will always be remembered for The Hulk (and Iron Man) due to their popularity during the 70s and 80s. However, he also has a positive reputation as a fitness consultant and is considered one of the foremost authorities on weight training.
The actor continues to turn heads with his impressive physique and has even been featured in People Magazine ‘s “Best Abs” issue multiple times. Ferrigno has shown that it’s possible for anyone to get fit by making smart choices and taking care of your body.
Lou Ferrigno’s Best Workout Tips
Ferrigno has some great tips for staying fit. These include the following:
- Stretch while you’re exercising instead of waiting until your body is sore – this will help prevent injuries while working out.
- Concentrate on getting lean while losing weight, not just bulk or building muscle
- It’s important to eat healthy foods at least 3 times a day.
- Try to do some cardio every other day and weight training once or twice per week.
- Don’t pin all your hopes on one type of training, try doing different exercises for different parts of the body. The important thing is that you take care of your body and stay fit by making smart choices when it comes to exercise and diet.
Lou Ferrigno’s Diet Plan
Ferrigno encourages people to eat a vegan diet and avoid consuming any kind of animal products. He believes that the best way to live a healthy life is by eating healthy foods and exercising regularly. Here are some tips from his book:
- Eat 5 or 6 small meals per day instead of 3 large ones. This will keep your body burning fat and prevent you from getting hungry and eating too much at one time.
- Use unprocessed foods as much as possible to avoid loading up on sugars and unhealthy additives that will make you gain weight.
- Buy organic vegetables whenever possible to avoid ingesting pesticides that might be harmful to your health.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day, preferably with wedge of lemon for flavor. This will also help speed up your metabolism and flush out toxins from your body.
How to Get in Incredible Shape Like Lou Ferrigno
As an actor, Lou Ferrigno ‘s impressive physique is part of his job. However, he’s also a personal trainer and fitness consultant who works with people who want to lose weight or get fit. There are several things you can do to achieve the body of your dreams like Ferrigno.
- Follow a healthy diet and eat smaller portions more frequently.
- Get plenty of exercise, preferably by doing cardio and weight training. If you can’t afford a gym membership or don’t have the time to get there, at least try walking more often and taking the stairs instead of using an elevator.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day and avoid unhealthy drinks like soda.
- Avoid eating processed foods as much as possible and eat more raw vegetables to maximize your metabolism.
Lou Ferrigno’s Workout Routine
Ferrigno is probably one of the best examples of someone who can get incredibly fit with a good workout routine. If you want to look like he does, try following a similar workout plan.
- Start out with a cardiovascular exercise like walking or jogging to boost your metabolism and improve overall fitness. Try doing this for 30 minutes per day, 3 days each week.
- Try doing weight training 2 times per week. Start off with light weights to avoid injuring yourself and try three sets of 8 reps for each exercise.
- Try stretching while you work out to help prevent injuries and support your body during exercise.
- Concentrate on being lean instead of building bulk. Getting too bulky will only make you lose your definition when you try to diet down later on.
Lou Ferrigno’s Health and Wellness Tips for a Long Life
Lou Ferrigno has done a lot of work to keep himself in shape and healthy. He’s also tried to pass down the same lessons to other people which is why he wrote his book “Lou Ferrigno’s Guide To Personal Power”. Here are some of his best tips for living a long and healthy life:
- Keep yourself active and entertained to fight boredom.
- Find a partner to make you feel better about yourself and help motivate you when things get tough.
- Be polite, even if people are rude to you. Treat everyone with respect no matter how they treat you.
- Have faith in yourself and believe that anything is possible if you work hard for it.
- Spend time with your family and friends to improve your social life and get support when you need it.
Lou Ferrigno and His Workout Formula for Gaining 20 Pounds of Muscle in 21 Days
People have been asking about Lou Ferrigno’s workout routine for a long time. In 1971, he had gained 20 pounds of muscle in just 21 days and revealed some of the secrets to achieving incredible results with a short training period.
- Start off with a weight that is around 60% of your maximum lift capacity and do 3 sets of 8 reps for each exercise.
- Rest 3 minutes between each set to give your muscles enough time to recover and allow you to lift at maximum strength during the next set.
- Keep doing this cycle until you can’t do more than 5 reps with the same weight. When that happens, increase the weight by around 10%.
Lou Ferrigno’s Diet and Nutrition Tips
Lou Ferrigno knows that you need a good diet along with a healthy workout plan in order to get into incredible shape. If you’re just starting out, try following these tips for nutrition :
- Try having protein during every meal or at least three times per day. This will help keep hunger away while also giving your body the amino acids that it needs to build and repair muscles.
- Try cutting out unhealthy foods like soda, desserts and processed snacks. Slowly cut back on them until they’re gone from your diet completely.
- Eat plenty of raw vegetables and fruit every day in order to cleanse your system and provide you with enough antioxidants to fight off disease.
- Don’t try to do everything perfectly from the get-go because you’ll end up quitting before you can see results. Give yourself a little leeway and adjust your diet over time to make it work for you.
Lou Ferrigno’s Take on Steroids, Creatine and Enhancement Drugs in Sports
A lot of people are interested in using performance enhancement drugs to get better results at the gym. But is it worth it if you want to live a long and healthy life? Lou Ferrigno shares his views on steroids, creatine and other sports related drugs:
- Using steroids can give you increased strength, but they can also damage your system over time. He believes that athletes should be able to build their own natural body through dedication and hard work.
- Creatine gives you more energy by helping your body produce the ATP that it needs to power all the cells in your muscles. If you do decide to take creatine, he suggests taking around 5 grams spread out over the course of a day.
- Sports related drugs like painkillers and sleeping pills can be helpful when you’re injured but they should only be used under a doctor’s supervision.
Lou Ferrigno Shares Mind and Body Advice to Live Life to the Fullest
Lou Ferrigno has worked hard for many years to keep himself healthy and in shape. He’s also tried to pass down as much advice as possible to those around him so that they can live a long and truly fulfilling life. Some of the things that he’s tried including:
- Regularly meditating and visualizing your goals in order to achieve them more easily. When you visualize something, you use your mind and body to ‘feel’ as if you’ve already achieved the goal. If you do this, then it will be easier for you to focus your thoughts and energy towards achieving success.
- Regularly practicing his martial arts training in order to stay mentally active and maintain flexibility throughout his joints. This helps him avoid injuries that could take him away from the gym for a long period of time.
- Eating smaller meals at regular intervals throughout the day in order to keep his metabolism working efficiently.
- Exercising regularly and eating nutritious foods so that he can maintain healthy skin, hair and nails.
Lou Ferrigno Shares His Final Words of Wisdom for You!
Rome wasn’t built in a day so you shouldn’t expect to see results overnight either. Remember that it’s important to be healthy and happy throughout your life and not just for a few months.
- Stay focused and work hard towards achieving your goals. Try to visualize what you want in order to help yourself achieve success more quickly.
- If there is something that you need to change about your life, then do so as soon as possible. Don’t let anything hold you back from living the kind of life that you deserve.
- If you need a job, then find one in a career field that you enjoy working in to keep yourself motivated and stay happy in the long run.
Lou Ferrigno has been a huge name in the fitness industry for many years and he’s done a lot of great things for people from all walks of life. He’s also shared his wise thoughts with everyone so that they can live a happy, healthy life.