If you’re like most people, when you think of spironolactone pills, the first thing that comes to mind is potassium supplements. However, did you know that spironolactone is also a powerful diuretic? In fact, it’s one of the most potent diuretics on the market. This means that spironolactone can be used to treat high blood pressure and other conditions caused by excessive fluid retention. If you’re interested in learning more about this medication, keep reading. We’ll discuss the benefits of spironolactone pills and explain how they can help improve your health.
Spironolactone is a diuretic, but it can also help balance your hormones. This is because spironolactone pills are anti-androgens. What do we mean by this? Well, did you know that men produce small amounts of the female hormone estrogen in their bodies? It’s true – all men have some estrogen. In fact, estrogen levels tend to rise slightly as you age.
Spironolactone pills can help restore the balance of your body’s hormone levels by reducing the amount of testosterone in your body. This is why spironlactone has been used to treat conditions caused by high testosterone levels including acne, hair loss, and excessive hair growth.
How can Spironolactone Treat High Blood Pressure?
Spironolactone pills contain a powerful diuretic known as spironolactone, which is why they’re so effective at reducing blood pressure levels. In some cases, even small doses of this medication have been shown to decrease blood pressure up to 20%.
Spironolactone works by attaching itself to the receptors in your body that are responsible for holding on to sodium and water. Then, it signals these cells to get rid of sodium and excess fluid while retaining potassium. By doing this, spironolactone can help lower blood pressure levels dramatically while also increasing potassium levels in your body.
Spironolactone for Acne, Hair Loss, and Excessive Hair Growth
There are several different conditions which spironolactone pills can treat including acne, hair loss, and excessive hair growth. These conditions may be caused by imbalances in your body’s natural hormone levels. As we mentioned earlier, spironolactone pills contain anti-androgenic properties, which is why they help balance your body’s natural levels of testosterone.
However, the exact mechanism that causes these conditions to be treated by spironolactone is not fully understood. Depending on the cause of your condition, your doctor may recommend a slightly different treatment regimen.
Spironolactone for Acne
If hormonal imbalances are causing your acne (testosterone levels tend to rise as you age) then spironolactone pills may be able to help reduce acne symptoms. While these medications can lower testosterone levels, they may not always treat this condition alone. This is because there are several different causes for acne other than high testosterone levels.
If your doctor recommends spironolactone for this condition, you should take it in conjunction with another medication called an antibiotic, which can treat the bacteria that causes acne. This combination of medications is thought to be more effective than taking either one alone.
Spironolactone for Hair Loss and Excessive Hair Growth
If male pattern baldness or unwanted hair growth is your condition, then spironolactone may be able to help reduce symptoms. These conditions are caused by sebum overproduction which signals the cells in your hair follicles to produce too much hair. As a result, they become clogged and unable to grow.
Spironolactone works by decreasing the sebum production in your body. This can help unclog hair follicles and slow down the growth of unwanted hair.
Spironolactone for Weight Loss
Spironolactone has not been proven to be an effective weight loss treatment. In fact, the exact mechanism behind this diuretic’s ability to reduce blood pressure levels may actually make it more difficult for you to lose weight.
Since spironolactone pills help your body excrete excess sodium and fluid, you’ll need to be careful about replacing these nutrients. Consuming a healthy, well-balanced diet is important when taking this medication as it can help you avoid unwanted side effects such as dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
If your doctor recommends spironolactone for weight loss, then they may also recommend that you exercise regularly and take regular trips to the bathroom while on this medication. You may also need to take potassium supplements in order to avoid getting dehydrated and experiencing electrolyte imbalances.
How Can I Take Spironolactone?
Before we discuss how you can take spironolactone, it’s important to note that there are certain conditions that this medication can worsen or cause. If you have any of the following conditions, then your doctor may not prescribe spironolactone to treat them:
- Kidney Disease – Since this is a diuretic, it can lower blood pressure levels too much if your kidneys are unable to function properly.
- Liver Disease – Spironolactone can affect liver function so if you have this condition, your doctor may not be able to use it.
- Hyperkalemia – This is a condition that causes levels of potassium in the blood to rise too high and it’s caused by taking too much potassium with spironolactone.
If your doctor prescribes spironolactone for one of the conditions listed above, then you should take this medication just once a day at the same time each day. If your doctor prescribes it to treat other conditions, then you should take this medication twice a day at the same time each day.
It’s important to note that you should never take more than your recommended dosage since this may cause more severe side effects. Also, it’s important to take spironolactone as prescribed even if you begin to notice improvement in your condition. If you stop taking your medication too soon then the symptoms of your condition may return and/or become worse than before.
When You Shouldn’t Take Spironolactone
If you have conditions that worsen when your potassium levels are too high, then you should not take spironolactone. This medication is in the potassium-sparing diuretic class which can increase levels of potassium in your blood if taken with other medications that also decrease blood pressure. If you take this combination of medications, then you may be at risk of developing hyperkalemia which can cause life-threatening side effects.
If your doctor prescribes spironolactone to treat the following conditions, then you should not take it without first talking to your primary care physician:
- Skin Rashes – This medication may make skin rashes worse. If you have a skin rash, then you should let your doctor know before starting this medication.
- High Blood Pressure – This medication can lower blood pressure levels too much and cause dizziness as a side effect. If you have high blood pressure, then your doctor may not prescribe spironolactone for acne treatment.
- Heart Conditions – Spironolactone can cause low blood pressure that can lead to dizziness or fainting. If you have a heart condition, then your doctor may not prescribe spironolactone for acne treatment.
- Liver Disease – Spironolactone has been shown to worsen certain liver conditions so if you have this condition, your doctor will probably not prescribe it for acne treatment.
- Pregnancy – This medication may cause birth defects so your doctor will not prescribe it if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant while using spironolactone.
- Bipolar Disorder – Spironolactone can worsen mood swings that are associated with bipolar disorder so if you have this condition, then your doctor may not prescribe it for acne treatment.
Dosage Side Effects of Spironolactone
If you take spironolactone as recommended, then you can expect to experience some side effects. The following are considered common side effects that will usually lessen with time:
- Dizziness – This is a very common side effect of spironolactone so you should take this medication either before going to bed or after a meal. This will help reduce the risk of fainting and/or experiencing lightheadedness because of low blood pressure levels.
- Skin Rashes – Your skin may develop a temporary rash while taking spironolactone, but this should lessen within a couple of days after your body adjusts to the drug.
- Nausea and/or Vomiting – Spironolactone can cause nausea and/or vomiting so if you experience these side effects, take this medication either with or before eating a meal. This will help reduce the risk of feeling nauseous and/or vomiting as a side effect of spironolactone.
- Blurred Vision or Other Visual Disturbances – This medication may temporarily cause blurred vision or other visual disturbances so make sure to use caution while driving or performing any other task that requires you to see clearly. If your blurred vision does not subside, then you should let your doctor know as soon as possible.
- Breast Tenderness or Enlargement – This medication may cause breast tenderness and/or enlargement in some people so if this happens to you, then inform your doctor right away. It is not known whether spironolactone causes male breasts to grow, so if you notice any major changes in either your breasts or nipples while taking this medication, then contact your primary care physician.
- Excessive Hair Growth – Spironolactone has been shown to cause excessive hair growth as a side effect of acne treatment, but this is uncommon. If you experience significant hair growth as a result of taking this medication, then inform your doctor right away.
Can You Take Spironolactone with Other Medications?
Spironolactone can interact with certain medications, so if you are taking any other drugs while you are being treated for acne, then it is important to inform your doctor. The following medications should never be taken while using spironolactone:
- Eplerenone – Spironolactone and eplerenone cannot be taken together because they use similar ingredients.
- Aspirin – This medication should not be taken at the same time as spironolactone because it will reduce the blood thinning effects of aspirin that could lead to bleeding or other complications.
- Warfarin (Coumadin) – Spironolactone should not be taken at the same time as warfarin because they may both thin your blood to dangerous levels.
- NSAIDs – You should avoid taking NSAIDs, including aspirin and ibuprofen, at the same time as spironolactone because it can cause kidney problems and/or severe stomach bleeding.
- Furosemide (Lasix) – This medication should not be taken with spironolactone because they both reduce the amount of potassium in your body.
- Corticosteroids – You should avoid taking corticosteroids, such as prednisone, at the same time as spironolactone because it can raise the level of potassium in your body to unhealthy levels.
Spironolactone Pills Review: User Testimonials About This Product
- Danny Lorain (July 8, 2021): I have been dealing with severe acne for about 5 years now and nothing seemed to work. I tried all kinds of antibiotics but none of them really helped, so my dermatologist told me to try spironolactone pills instead. It’s been a little over 3 months since I started taking this medication and I can honestly say that it has helped me a lot. My skin already looks so much better compared to how it used to be when I was using antibiotics.
- Karen Clark (April 28, 2021): I heard from a friend that taking spironolactone for acne treatment could help so I decided to give it a try. Now after being on this medication for about 5 months, I can honestly say that my skin has improved significantly. The cystic acne on my face seems to be gone and the pustules are starting to clear up as well. I will definitely continue taking this medication until all of my acne is gone.
- Taylor Simmons (April 4, 2021): If you ask me, spironolactone pills are the best acne medication that I have ever tried. My skin has always been very oily, and my face was full of red pimples before this medication, but now it looks so much better after being on it for about 6 months. There is no doubt in my mind that these pills were a major part of clearing up my acne, so I highly recommend them.
- John Doe (March 20, 2021): This medication has been a miracle for me, and I am so glad that my dermatologist recommended it to me. My skin was covered with all kinds of acne including blackheads, whiteheads and pustules, but after being on these pills for about 3 months now, it’s been almost perfectly clear. These pills have been a miracle cure for me, and I will definitely use them again in the future when my acne flares up.
- Steve Smith (March 2, 2021): Spironolactone is a great medication for treating acne and you should always give it a try before going on prescription antibiotics which can cause serious side effects. I wish that my dermatologist had told me about this medication instead of the antibiotics, because it saved me a lot of time and money. I should have tried these pills in the beginning instead of spending so much on prescription pills.
- Ryan Smith (February 16, 2021): One thing I love about taking spironolactone is how few side effects there are compared to taking prescription antibiotics. I definitely experienced way less stomach pains and nausea when taking this medication than when I was on the doxycycline another dermatologist had given me. If you want an effective acne treatment that doesn’t cause side effects, then spironolactone may be right for you.
- Eugene Baker (February 8, 2021): This medication has been a life saver for me, and I have almost completely cleared up my acne by taking it. It works quickly, which is another major benefit as well as the fact that it comes at a very affordable price. If you are looking for an effective treatment for your acne, then I highly recommend giving spironolactone a try.
- Tina Melendez (February 1, 2021): If you are here reading this article then I’m guessing you are looking for an effective treatment to get rid of your acne. Spironolactone may be the right choice for you since it is very affordable and non-toxic compared to prescription medications like accutane. I’ve been using these pills for about 3 months now and my skin has improved a lot already. I used to break out every time I had my period, but now those breakouts rarely show up anymore.
- Ryan Smith (January 26, 2021): Spironolactone is an effective acne treatment that you should definitely try if you have been suffering from acne for a long time. I absolutely loved this medication because it didn’t cause any side effects and it has worked so quickly, unlike the prescription antibiotics that I took before which had horrible side effects.
- Susan Jones (January 19, 2021): This medication is an amazing acne treatment that really works! If you are looking for an acne treatment that is more affordable than prescription antibiotics, then spironolactone may be the right choice. I’ve only been taking this medication for about 6 weeks and my acne has already improved a lot, which makes me really happy since it was really starting to get out of control before I started taking these pills.
FAQs: Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe?
Yes, Spironolactone is a FDA approved medication that is very safe, non-toxic and affordable compared to prescription drugs like Accutane.
How long does it take for Spironolactone to work?
Spironolactone is known to clear up acne within 3-6 months after starting the treatment. It’s important to keep in mind that results vary from person to person and no one pill will work the same for everyone.
Will I experience any side effects when using Spironolactone?
Like all medications, you may experience some minor side effects when taking spironolactone. Possible side effects include nausea, dizziness, stomach pain/cramps and headache. It’s important to keep in mind that these are very mild side effects compared to the side effects experienced with prescription drugs like Accutane.
Why should I buy spironolactone online?
When looking for an acne treatment it’s important to purchase one that has been FDA approved, is safe and comes with affordable pricing. Other benefits associated with buying spironolactone online include easy access to the medication without having to go through prescription hoops, privacy when ordering your acne treatment and more time to focus on your health rather than sitting in doctor’s office waiting room for hours.
Spironolactone is FDA approved and may be the right choice for you if you want to treat your acne without experiencing any side effects. Although this medication has been FDA approved, it’s important to keep in mind that results vary from person to person, and no one pill works the same for everyone. Spironolactone belongs to a group of medications called antiandrogens, which are substances that block the action of male hormones on the skin. By blocking these hormones, spironolactone works to decrease oil production thus diminishing acne breakouts. As with most medications, this one may take several months to work so it’s important not to become discouraged if you don’t see results with in the first month or two.